Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Easter Preparations

Following an order from my mother - we are going to our home town for the Easter holiday. According to my mother, we are not officially on our own for the holidays until we have been moved away for a year. Our year is not up until May 30th. Knowing my mom, it never will be. Holy Thursday will be in our new town of Roswell at our new church. Good Friday and Easter Vigil will be in our old church back home, so it's kind of nice to get a little Easter from each church.
Family tradition dictates that the Easter egg hunt is at my mom's house. The last two years this has included me getting up and over to my mom's house at four in the morning, hiding eggs with the Easter bunny, having a cup of coffee and a homemade scone and making it back to my house before the children wake up. It has also including a lot of cooking. This year our Easter dinner will be simpler because I no longer live five minutes away from mom and dad and there won't be much room to cook/re-heat things because mom's microwave died last weekend. I also don't have to drive at four in the morning. I'm sure I'll still be up at four in the morning, just not driving because we'll be staying at mom's. The best part about this year is that it is "Baby Kate's" first Easter, she is my brother and his wife's baby girl. My personal tradition is that every child gets a chocolate bunny for Easter, even Baby Kate. Yes, I know that at five months old she can't eat it, but she'll still get one. Why? Because I always wanted a solid chocolate bunny for Easter as a kid and times being what they were, we didn't always get even a hollow one. Times being what they are now, we don't/can't get everything our children want. But at least they'll have a chocolate bunny.

No comments: